GD bbPress Toolbox Pro allows you to use WordPress integrated TinyMCE editor for editing topics and replies. The plugin includes several settings for configuring the TinyMCE integration.
GD bbPress Toolbox Pro is adding TinyMCE by enabling this feature in bbPress. This is fully 100% bbPress feature that GD bbPress Toolbox Pro ONLY ENABLES, it doesn’t add anything to or has any control over. All the settings GD bbPress Toolbox Pro exposes are already implemented by bbPress, they are only enabled or disabled.
There are few things you can modify, and that can be done for the Topic and Reply editor independently. To enable the editor, you need to enable both Enhancements and TinyMCE editor options. Also, you need to enable Post Formatting in the main bbPress plugin settings (link is included).
After you do that, you have 4 options related to TinyMCE:
- Compact Editor Toolbar: this is the ‘Lite’ version of the TinyMCE with only some basic buttons included.
- Media Buttons: this will show a button for adding files and images into the editor.
- WPAutoP Filter: this filter is processing the content for auto-formatting using paragraphs.
- Editor Rows: this will configure the number of lines, or size, of the editor.
There are two special options that GD bbPress Toolbox Pro can use to improve the TinyMCE usability.
- Allowed tags list: this will expand the list of allowed HTML tags and attributes for use in the editor. If you don’t use this, bbPress will strip out most of the HTML you may use in the TinyMCE. It is best to set this to an Expanded range of tags and attributes.
- Add Media button in TinyMCE: this option will allow the normal user (Participants) to use Media Button and Media Library. By default, bbPress user roles allow this for keymaster and moderator roles, and normal users can’t insert media in the TinyMCE editor.
As it is said before, GD bbPress Toolbox Pro adds TinyMCE into the topic and replies to editors, and beyond few settings, there is no other control over the way the TinyMCE works.
- TinyMCE is added using with bbPress hidden feature using the core WordPress function, and only settings implemented through this function are supported.
- GD bbPress Toolbox Pro can’t change buttons (add or remove them) in the TinyMCE editor toolbar.
- GD bbPress Toolbox Pro can’t control how the Media Library is used through Media Button in the TinyMCE editor.
Other potential problems
Once the editor is added to the website front end, theme styling and theme scripts can cause problems with the editor:
- Themes with aggressive styling selector rules can change the color of the buttons, make buttons too big or too small, make some areas of the editor unusable. GD bbPress Toolbox Pro includes an extra stylesheet to try and prevent some of these things front happening, but in the end, themes can do a lot of things beyond plugin control.
- If you run into such issues, you need to consult your theme author to fix the issues that are causing TinyMCE problems.
- Dev4Press can’t provide any support related to the issues with TinyMCE!