Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Author
Topic

Alright. That will be great. Meanwhile, I still have other questions.

1. I want to use quote only in your tool. Now my question is, is it possible to disable or remove reply button from bbpress. Yesterday, you suggested that I should not use threaded reply. So I want to keep only Quote button, so to keep the forum organized.
2. Now, I tried quotation on this page: https://pitchiong.dxpsites.net/?topic=hello-world#post-14, and when a reply is quoted, it quote everything. Is it possible to limit word counts per post?

Topic Information
General Question
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author
Replies

I have moved this to the GD bbPress Tools plugin forum since it has nothing to do with the Quantum theme.

1. Reply and Quote is not the same, and the quote simply takes the content of the reply/topic and moves it to a new reply form, and displays it as quoted to reference the reply/topic. It does nothing else.

2. No, the GD bbPress Tools can’t limit the length of quoted content, but when quoting, you can select what to quote, and only that will be added, or you can edit quoted content before submitting.

GD bbPress Toolbox Pro Quote feature is a bit more advanced, but it doesn’t make changes for what you need here. Quote is a simple tool that is no replacement for the reply, just a small extension for it.

Dev4Press - Premium plugins for WordPress.

I have moved this to the GD bbPress Tools plugin forum since it has nothing to do with the Quantum theme.

1. Reply and Quote is not the same, and the quote simply takes the content of the reply/topic and moves it to a new reply form, and displays it as quoted to reference the reply/topic. It does nothing else.

2. No, the GD bbPress Tools can’t limit the length of quoted content, but when quoting, you can select what to quote, and only that will be added, or you can edit quoted content before submitting.

GD bbPress Toolbox Pro Quote feature is a bit more advanced, but it doesn’t make changes for what you need here. Quote is a simple tool that is no replacement for the reply, just a small extension for it.

Alright MillaN…

Thanks for all your replies. Perhaps the lack or properly working nested/threaded replies in bbpress is a more turn-off for me. You can imaging a forum or thread without knowing who is replying to what exactly; Reply #3 might be asking for effective rodenticide, and reply number #7 could be asking about a working CoronaVirus vaccine. Then another user with reply #8, but replying to #3 says ‘you can use Coumatetralyl’. This might or might not have direct effects on these users, but another forum user could make a wrong decision based on these replies. So in my opinion, quotation is the best solution to bbpress threading reply issues. And adding the above two options to your tool it will help.

Ever since forums software was first made, threaded replies were never part of the way forums work, and you will not find threaded replies in most of the dedicated forums, both free or paid. The point of the topics is that they are on ‘topic’ – a single topic and all replies are about it, and there is no need to have threads of replies, that means that replies are more suited to be separate topics.

In your example, you should not have single topic, but multiple topics about different aspects of coronavirus, and there will be no need for threads, and topics would be easier to find and follow.

So funny the way you reason sometime.

Ever since forums software was first made, threaded replies were never part of the way forums work

Phones were not meant to be smart, but here were!
    I have a a forum on one of such dedicated forum softwares, Discourse to be precised. Those guys are one of the most innovative forum builders, yet they have working threaded replies implemented somehow.

In your example, you should not have single topic, but multiple topics about different aspects of coronavirus, and there will be no need for threads, and topics would be easier to find and follow.

Not always true either. Have as many topics as you want, some readers will surely miss out on the rules, and what will you do, ban’em? Of course not!
    For example, This is the second time you created a separate topic for what I wrote as reply, and this happen withing just an hour. How long will you continue doing such for a larger forum site?

I wish you well sir, and thanks for the fast update you just release. This should be my last comment though!

Forums have moderators, and they should keep things clean and organized. I understand that there are needs for different types of forum organization, and threaded replies are one way to go. That is fine, but with bbPress, threaded replies are just baddy done and resource-intensive. Until bbPress changes database structure for the data, threaded replies can’t be implemented properly.

Discourse is currently one of the rare standalone forums with threaded replies, some other forums have plugins, but either way, it is very rarely used in a forum, and I know a lot of forum moderators and administrators, they all stay away from threaded replies because, in the forums, they are not what the forums are about.

If bbPress ever implements threaded replies properly, without the performance issues, I would be there to support them, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon with the current state of bbPress.

Hi, when I click on “quote” in a “reply” as a Participant user the “reply” is set to “pending”. Do you know what I’ve done wrong?

bbPress moderation system has been triggered. Right now, I have no idea why the quote in some cases triggers the moderation flags, but I will issue updates when I know more.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Register

If you don't have an account on this website, you can register for a free account here:

Register