• Creator
    Topic
    MillaN
    Keymaster

Suggestions for tutorials for GD Simple Widgets plugin.

Dev4Press - Premium plugins for WordPress.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Michael
    Participant

I don’t have a suggestion for a tutorial, but rather a new widget for the plugin collective.

Since I use WordPress as a way to host my story and the miscellaneous extra information pages that go along with it, one of the few plugins I do have is a recently updated posts widget.

What this widget does is grab a listing of all the posts that have been recently altered and displays them in the side column. However, these widgets are really basic, and surprisingly hard to find – I knew of like three or four, but I’m down to only one that actually works with the current revision of WordPress (Last Updated Posts Widget, by Andrea Developer – which is currently listed in the WordPress Repository as not being supported atm).

Additionally, they’re all really light plugins – for example, the one I’m using right now only has options to let you choose how the modified date is displayed and how many posts (up to 15) are listed in the widget. No options to block certain posts/pages from being displayed, etc.

However, I think there is a lot of unexplored potential in this vein when you take WordPress from the idea of a CMS. One of the things MediaWiki dominates WordPress in is the Recent Changes menu/setup. I would like to see something in a similar vein, but with some slight modifications because I’m not sure you could actually implement the MediaWiki functionality for WordPress.

Basically, the delivery of the plugin is still the same. You have a widget that displays the post title and the date/time the post was changed/updated, that upon clicking links you directly to the updated post or optionally to a custom url (so we could set up a post or page that details exactly what changes were made when). It would also be rather nice if it tied into the post/page update process somehow – I’m thinking sort of like with deviantArt, how you can specify whether or not your ‘watchers’ should be informed of the edit you’re making. There are times when I might have to update navigation links throughout the story and I wind up spamming the legitimate story or info changes right off the recent changes widget listing because it doesn’t differentiate between what it is I’m updating in the post/page, just that I *have* updated the post/page.

In this way we get a mimicry of the Mediawiki function for displaying recent changes, but the end user/client doesn’t see coding changes or a side by side comparison or the like. They either get linked directly to the post and can figure out what the changes are themselves, or to another page that the administrator sets up to specify what changes are made and when for each specific post.

MillaN
    Keymaster

Right now GD Simple Widgets is sort of on back burner, I don’t have much time for it. I have also several ideas for new widgets, and I plan to resume work on it in the next 3-4 months once I get more time and once some other projects are gone forward.

Your idea is really good, and it can be done. I will add it to the list of widgets for this plugin once I resume working on it.

Dev4Press - Premium plugins for WordPress.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘GD Simple Widgets’ is closed to new replies.