SuggestionImport from other forum

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MillaN 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

sourfe
    Participant

I’am currently using Xenforo as my forum system but would like to import all forum and threads into bbpress to get a unified platform.

bbPress is very limited in functionality and here is where the toolbox pro gets very handy. However the bbpress import will not cover current attachments etc.

I would be nice if you could offer an extension to the bbpress importer to simplify and enhance the import so the migration will be more complete. This will benefit all who are about migrate from xenforo or other forum system into WordPress/bbPress.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

MillaN
    Keymaster

Hi,

Last year I have been testing something like that (with phpBB), and it was not successful, it was slow and crashing too often. This would require modifying all importers bbPress have and I don’t have time to dedicate to such task. Each forum attachment handling is vastly different, and making import for one forum is not the solution, it is either all or none.

If later this year I find some free time, I maybe try this again. For now, that is not going to happen.

Milan

Dev4Press - Premium plugins for WordPress.

sourfe
    Participant

Ok, what about something that just pull the images from the current location on disk and display it nicely in the post. That would not require any import.

MillaN
    Keymaster

What is the ‘current location’? Forums don’t work that way, and you need to have attachments in the database, connected to topics or replies.

sourfe
    Participant

The attachments are currently stored on disk in a specific pattern, not in the database.

MillaN
    Keymaster

OK, but that doesn’t change anything, there is no quick fix to get that done. Right now I don’t have enough free time to take on the attachments import, because it has to be done for most popular forum software first, it requires a lot of time to test across different server types, not to mention the possibility that some forums can lock access to raw files from outside, making the transfer very complicated.

There is no quick and easy way to do it, and a lot of time needs to be invested. If it happens that I can do it in the future, I will, but I can’t promise that. As it stands right now, I will definitely not have time for that this year.

My suggestion for this is to talk to some developers and hire someone to do it for your specific forum.

Milan

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.