Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Author
Topic

Hello!

1. Can I use a rating more than once on a post type? For example, I would like to start with thumb or like template, and customize one for a bookmark function for finished posts, and one for a voting function for future posts. Functionally they are very similar, but need to be able to include both.

2. Can I add some sort of ID, so that two instances of a widget can be used on the same post?

3. Can I duplicate and modify templates, to create custom ratings widgets?

4. I installed the free version and tested Like This. I can’t see how to allow the user to unlike without also allowing the user to like more than once. Disabling the revote function prevents unliking until page refresh, which is not good UI. How can I set the system up to act like a real like button? That is: allow like and unlike as many times as the user wants immediately, but never allow more than one like for that user?

5. I can’t see how to set custom before and after images. Is this possible with free version? If not, is this possible with paid version? Do you have articles about this?

6. How can I hide, change customize elements of the widget like show/hide text, etc.? For example, in free Like This, there is a like count followed by like count plus text, which is bad: the result is “thumb image” + “3” + “3 users like this” so looks like 33. How can I remove “3 users like this”?

Thank you!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author
Replies

Sorry, forgot to include:

Currently with Like This users can relike, and increase total number of likes, every page refresh. How can we prevent this? Users should only be able to like content once. Is this possible?

Thanks

Hi,

1. You can have every rating method used for every post. So, you can have all of them active in the same time. Right now, plugin allows you to enable only one of them for auto embedding, but you can add other methods using function in theme template or with shortcodes.

2. You can add each widget more than once. And, for each widget you can define Unique ID if you need to target specific instance. You can check out this in the Lite version too.

3. Every template can be copied, and modified.

4. You have option for Like This called ‘Remove Vote’, and that will enable user to remove the Like. If you enable that and Quick Revote, it should work the way you want it.

5. I am not sure what are before and after images, can you explain?

6. Widgets are rendered using templates, and every template can be copied and modified. And, you can use CSS to make tweaks, and make more of the distinction between elements to avoid confusion.

Regards,
    Milan

Dev4Press - Premium plugins for WordPress.

Hi!

Awesome details, thank you.

Re: your clarification questions:

You have option for Like This called ‘Remove Vote’, and that will enable user to remove the Like. If you enable that and Quick Revote, it should work the way you want it.

I should have been more clear, what I meant was: I tried those two settings together and separately. With Remove Vote set and Quick Revote unset, user cannot unlike without refreshing page. With both set, it works like this: first click changes likes from zero to 1, says you liked it. Second click says you unliked it and decrements count again, third click increments again, fourth increments another time, etc. forever. What we want is the ability to UN-like without the ability to RE-like. This also covers my follow-up question (about preventing more than one like per user).

I am not sure what are before and after images, can you explain?

For example, I have a custom image of an unset switch, and a custom image of a set-and-lighted switch, and I would like to use those as before-like and after-like images.

Additional question:

The free version delivers a significant Flash Of Unwanted Content (a default theme styled button) before plugin applies its features, images, text and styling. Is there a mechanism to a. hide underlying input completely or b. detect completed loading before any display?

Thanks for your help, Bruce

Hi,

This method only has positive value: Like. When you remove the like, it only removes the like, it doesn’t do anything else. Value is either +1 or it is 0. There is no way to say, Unlike with the value -1. Pro version has Thumbs rating that has Up and Downvotes (-1 and +1), and that method allows changing of the vote from Up to Down and vice versa. That might be closer to what you need. If you explain to me how exactly you expect it to behave, what scenarios Like should cover, I may be able to do something in the future to change the method.

The plugin allows you to select what is used to show the Like control. Currently, there are two sets of icons from the built-in font and one image-based set. There are tutorials and example plugin available on how to add a new image-based set and new font to load icons. So, graphics used for the 3 buttons as they were, can be changed.

Yes, I am aware of the render flash on load. It is caused by the way the control is prepared that depends on the JavaScript, and both Lite and Pro are the same in that regard. For the next major version of both plugins (Lite 3.1 and Pro 4.2), I plan to add extra settings to have the rating blocks hidden until they are fully rendered.

Regards,
    Milan

Dev4Press - Premium plugins for WordPress.

Thanks again!

On the flash of unwanted content, what Select2 (JS library for styling option boxes) recommends is, in CSS, hide visibility of the underlying select, so there is no flash. Is something like this possible with your plugin too, hide the underlying button?

On “like is +1, there is no descrement” This is not how my install of the free version works. I’m using “Like This” and it does decrement. In fact, there is a config setting called “remove vote”. Turning on both “remove vote” and “quick revote” options should result in a simple toggle. Which it does, but only the first time. Meaning:

1. click Like This: count goes from 0 to 1, says “you liked it”
    2. Click Like This: count goes from 1 to 0, says “you unliked this”
    3. Click Like This: count goes from 0 to 1, says “you liked this”
    4. Click Like This: count goes from 1 to 2, says “2 people liked this”

Step 4 is wrong. Should have decremented again. There is only one person. And they were trying to unvote.

What do you think?

Forgot to answer your question:

If you explain to me how exactly you expect it to behave, what scenarios Like should cover, I may be able to do something in the future to change the method.

I think you should offer a function that is a simple vote/ no vote. They like it, or they don’t. If they click it again, they unlike it.

The application I was hoping to apply this to is: imagine a blog with some articles, and some proposed future articles: only titles, short description, hero image, “future project” banner, and a voting button.

Users can vote on an article topic they are particularly interested in. I can use these post’s vote tallies to sort my future-post list and create my optimal editorial calendar.

Then connected to Gamipress or MyCred, I can reward users for their input, inside my current gamification strategy. But, they can’t click all day and earn points. If they get a point for voting on an idea, if they click again they changed their mind, and I decrement their reward-points tally again.

Do you get what I mean? Is this the kind of details you were looking for?

Mockup: https://imgur.com/a/u2kWVqz

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Register

If you don't have an account on this website, you can register for a free account here:

Register