Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Author
Topic

We currently are using bbpress attachments and so far it worked great. I know this is not included with this plug in but we are having problem uploading from certain phones like the IPhone, some Androids, and Windows Phones. This is one feature that is very important for our site to grow. I will like to know if it possible for you to develop this into this plug in. We are open to even covering part of the cost if need be and having this feature available to everyone. If you need to contact us via email feel free to email us at webmaster@swolenation.net

Topic Information
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author
Replies

Plugin uses basic POST upload, and there is no simpler way to do this. Also, I have tested it with Android browsers: Opera, Firefox and Maxthon, and in all 3 upload works. If normal POST upload doesn’t work, than, that is browser problem, because there is no more universal way to upload file.

Dev4Press - Premium plugins for WordPress.

Thank you so much for your prompt and informational reply.

We’re having trouble uploading attachments from the iPhone in particular. Neither uploading an image straight from the camera or from a file works on the iPhone. Both methods produce “Code: php_upload” in the error log. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

iOS doesn’t allow file uploads through form like normal browsers. Right now I am not aware of a way to get it working.

MillaN,

Thank you for you prompt reply. I’ve been repeatedly testing uploading attachments on the iPhone my conclusion is that it works intermittently. Most of the time it works but sometimes it doesn’t.

I did some research and since iOS 6 the iPhone supports file uploads in safari.
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/13/ios-6-safari-media-uploads/

I also went and looked for alternative solutions, I’ve found a media upload plugin that works with buddypress that is able to handle uploading attachments on the iPhone. So now instead of using the forum I would be using buddypress groups.
    http://rtcamp.com/rtmedia/

I can send you a link to our site if you prefer to see it all in one place.

Basically, are you planning to update your plugin to support uploading from mobile devices in the immediate future or should I switch to using buddypress groups instead? Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated.

From what I understand, iOS6 is needed for INPUT FILE to work. But, it allows only images and videos. I have tested with iOS6 on iPad3 and every image I tried it uploaded, other file types were not working. There is nothing special needed to make upload work, normal upload form is OK.

For future reference, I would like to clarify that we’ve changed the max upload file size value in our php.ini file on our server and this solved our intermittent upload issue. Since this change we have not experienced any errors and the original issue had nothing to do with the GD bbPress Attachments plugin. Thank you.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Supporting mobile phone upload’ is closed to new replies.